Yunnan Travel in January
Travel to Yunnan in January will bring you winter travel experience such as snow mountain hiking, winter birding and spring festival celebration, etc.
Yunnan Weather and Climate in January
When you travel to Yunnan in January, January of Yunnan is not freezing and there is much less rain. There may even be more sunshine during this season. If you don’t mind carrying more clothes, visiting Yunnan in winter is a good option. The temperature in the coldest month (January) is 6 ℃ ~ 8 ℃. On the same day, it is cool in the morning and evening, but hot in noon, especially in winter and spring, daily temperature difference can reach 12 ℃ ~ 20 ℃.
Yunnan Temperature in January
Generally speaking, Yunnan enjoys a mild climate with pleasant weather but, due to its varied terrain, the weather is also diverse in different regions. In January, temperature ranges from 15 °C (59 °F) to 3 °C (37 °F) in Kunming, and from 14°C (57°F) to 0°C (32°F) in Lijiang, and from 23.9°C (75°F) to 26.1°C (79°F) in Xishuangbanna, and from -6.67°C (20 °F) to 6.1°C ( 43°F) in Shangri-La, and from 2°C (36°F) to 16°C (61°F) in Dali.
What to Wear for Yunnan Travel in January
Warm clothes are necessary, such as a knitted hat, gloves, a thick sweater, a down jacket, or a winter jacket. However, if you travel to warm places of Yunnan, such as Xishuangbanna, Dehong and Tengchong, down jacket is unnecessary, coat and thick sweater are enough at night and in the morning, and long shirt for daytime. Also take sunscreen and sunglasses to protect against the sun’s rays in the highlands.
Yunnan Weather and Climate by Month
Things to Do for Yunnan Travel in January
Traveling in winter you’ll avoid the rainy season, making it the perfect time to get active and enjoy the diverse nature on offer.
- Winter Hiking: Hiking is a particular favorite activity of ours because it gives our guests access to remote local minority villages, stunning Yuanyang Rice Terraces and tropical rain foretst, tea mountains in Xishuangbanna.
- Bird-watching: Winter birding is also recommended in January while you can also see the black-headed gulls on Dianchi Lake and Green Lake Park in Kunming.
- Hot Spring Spa: Apart from the popular Aning Hot Spring near Kunming, Tengchong in west Yunnan is a great place to seek for warmth. Lots of travelers go to Tengchong to enjoy the hot springs in winter.
- Snow Scenery: If you want to enjoy the snow covered scenery or try snow mountain climbing, Jiaozi Snow Mountain in Kunming and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in Lijiang should be the right places.
- Joys of Festivals: In Yunnan, as well as celebrating the Chinese Lunar New Year, there are numerous smaller festivals that happen in accordance with local minority traditions, such as Gatangpa Festival of Hani people and Kaquewa Festival of Dulong People. Spring Festival usually falls in January or February, local ethnic groups also celebrate it in their ways, we highly recommend you 17 Days Yunnan Ethnic Minorities Festivals Tour around Chinese New Year, by which you can feel the atmosphere of Chinese New Year and know the ways of celebrating New Year by various ethnic groups.
Places to Visit for Yunnan Travel in January
- Erhai Lake
- Lijiang Ancient Town
- Dali Ancient Town
- Nuodeng Old Town
- Shuhe Ancient Town
- Yuanyang Rice Terraces
- Dianchi Lake
- Green Lake Park
- Jiaozi Snow Mountain
- Meili Snow Mountain
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
Yunnan Festivals and Events by Month
Travel Tips for Yunnan Travel in January
- The sunshine in Yunnan is too strong during the day that you’d better take your sunscreen and sunglasses.
- You should drink more water, eat more fruit, and prevent dehydration.
- Yunnan is a province with more minority nationalities. Please respect the living habits and customs of the minority nationalities.
- Get ready for your Visa, and do remember your passport.
- Prepare for your SIM card to make sure the internet use in China.
- Take some medicine with you for emergency use, especially if you are easy to get altitude sickness.
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and hats for the strong ultraviolet ray on the plateau.
- Don’t forget your umbrella and rain gear during the rainy seasons.
- Pack suitable clothes, windproof jacket and thick coat are suggested, outdoor clothing will be good.