Laomeng Town of Jinping County, Honghe
Laomeng Town(老勐镇) is located in the joint parts of Yuanyang(元阳), Lvchun(绿春), Jinping(金平) "three counties and eight townships" and on the vital traffic roads. With superior location and convenient transportation, Laomeng Town has developed into the important town in the west of Jinping and the commodity distribution center of "three counties and eight townships".
Chinese Name: 金平县老勐镇
English Name: Laomeng Town of Jinping County, Honghe
Best Time: Sundays
Recommended Visiting Hours: 1 day
Opening Hours: All day
Address: Laomeng Town, Jinping County, Honghe Prefecture, Yunnan云南省红河州金平县老勐镇
About Laomeng Town
Laomeng Town(老勐镇) is located in the northwest of Jinping Miao, Yao and Dai Autonomous County, Honghe Hani and Yi Autonomous Prefecture, Yunnan Province. Its geographical coordinate is 102°47′-102°57′ east longitude and 22°51′ -23°02′ north latitude. Laomeng Town borders Yingpan Township(营盘乡) in the east, Laojizhai Township(老集寨乡) in the south, Huangmaoling Township(黄茅岭乡) of Yuanyang County in the west, Ganiang Township(嘎娘乡) of Yuanyang County in the north and it was established in 1987. Township people’s Government is in Laomeng Street of Laomeng Village Committee, and Laomeng Town is the joint parts of “three counties and eight townships” and vital traffic road. With the total area of 194.41 square kilometers and cultivated land area of 2180 hectares, Laomeng Town has jurisdiction over Laomeng(老勐), Xincun(新村), Heping(和平), Xinanli(新安里) and Kuzhulin(苦竹林) 5 village committees and 79 villages. At the end of 2014, there were 4703 families and a population of 19947. Miao, Yao, Dai, Hani, Yi and Han six ethnic groups lives here for generation, with 19570 ethnic minority people, accounting for 98.11% of the total population, while the Miao minority population is of 12766 people, accounting for 64% of the total population. It is a poor mountainous area inhabited by multiple minorities.
Features of Laomeng Town
1. Laomeng Town is located in the joint parts of Yuanyang, Lvchun, Jinping “three counties and eight townships” and on the vital traffic roads. Coupled with obvious location advantage, abundant nature resources and convenient transportation, Laomeng town has developed into the important town in the west of Jinping county and the commodity distribution center of “three counties and eight townships”.
2. Tengtiaojiang River(藤条江) passes through Laomeng Town, and the land is distributed in the hot valley area, the humid and hot area and the high mountain cold area. The topography is complex, with the highest elevation of 2962 meters and the lowest elevation of 419 meters. There is a perennial river Pingba River(平坝河) in the territory, with no dry seasons, high headwaters, large drop and large discharge, which are conducive to the development of cascade hydropower stations. Pingba River has a high utilization value, but has not yet been developed. Forest coverage of the whole town is 29%, state-owned forest area of 2000 hectares.
3. Laomeng Town(老勐镇) is rich in cultural resources, and the traditional ethnic culture here is colorful. During the festivals, these traditional ethnic cultures get a concentrated display. Main ethnic festivals include “Guo Ma Festival(果玛节)” of Yi minority and “Huashan Festival(花山节)” of Miao minority.
Things to Do in Laomeng Town
1. Experience colorful minority culture, like Miao, Yao, Yi, Hani and Dai.
2. Laomeng Town is well-known for its Laomeng Sunday Market.
3. Taste the special cuisine of ethnic minorities.
Useful Travel Tips
1. Learn something about ethnic minorities in Laomeng Town as well as their costumes and culture in advance.
2. Laomeng Town is not far from Yuanyang County, it is the best choice to take Yuanyang as the next destination.